Welcome to City of Gilbert, MN
Gilbert, Minnesota, located in the Iron Range of Northern Minnesota is located in St. Louis County. Population in 2022 is 1685 people. The city was named after Giles Gilbert who led the exploration of the McKinley mine property in the 1890’s. Platted in 1907, there has been a post office since.
City Hall Hours:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Important telephone numbers:
Gilbert City Hall: (218) 748-2232
- Option 1 – General Information
- Option 2 – Utility Billing Clerk
- Option 3 – Clerk
- Option 4 – Deputy Clerk (HR & Account Payable)
- Option 5 – Police Department
Gilbert Water & Light: (218) 748-2232 After-hours utility issues: (218) 742-9825
Payment Service Network: (877) 885-7968
Gilbert Public Library: (218) 748-2230
Gilbert Police Department (non-emergency): (218) 748-2225
Gilbert Fire Department (non-emergency): (218) 748-2218
Sherwood Forest Campground: (218) 748-2221
The City of Gilbert provides electric, water, sewer, and garbage services.
- Sanitation: City of Gilbert garbage bags are required for residential garbage. Bags may be purchased at City Hall or at the Gilbert Holiday Gas Station. Garbage bags must be placed at the edge of the alley (or edge of the street if there is no alley) by 6:00 a.m. on Fridays for collection. There are three (3) garbage bag sizes available:
- Small (8 gallon) – roll of 10 is $3.00
- Medium (14 gallon) – roll of 10 is $6.50
- Large (33 gallon) – roll of 10 is $13.00
- Utility: Utility bills go out on the last business day of the month and are due the 15th of the month. All utility charges shall be delinquent if they are unpaid at the close of the business on the tenth day of the month following the billing. A penalty of ten (10) percent of the current monthly bill shall be added to and become part of the existing delinquent account. Payment options:
- In person at City Hall.
- Online or by telephone through Payment Service Network.
- Or by putting in the drop-box located outside City Hall.
- Natural gas: Natural gas service is provided through Minnesota Energy Resources and not through the City of Gilbert.
- Customer Service: 800-889-9508
- Gas Emergencies: 800-889-4970
- Animal licenses: Tags are required and expire each year on December 31st. Licenses may be purchased at City Hall. Licenses are $5.00 for altered animals and $10.00 for unaltered animals. A certificate of rabies vaccination must be presented at the time of application.
- Calendar parking: is in effect from November 1st to May 1st. Parking is on the odd side of the street or avenue on the odd days of the month and the even side of the street or avenue on the even days of the month. The changeover time is between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m.
- Land Use permit and variance applications: Applications can be picked up at City Hall or found on our website under Government>Permits, Licenses & Forms>Planning & Zoning. Completed applications and payments are submitted at City Hall.
- Facility Rentals: The Gilbert Community Center, Senior Center, and Arena may be rented for events. Reservations are made at City Hall. The current rate schedule can be found at City Hall or on our website under Government>Fee Schedule.
- Cemetery: Available cemetery lots may be purchased at City Hall.
Come stay with us!
- Home to the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area (OHV Park).
- 36 miles of OHV trails for ATV, OHM, ORV, and Dirt bikes! Trail Map: link to trail maps
- We are adjacent to the Mesabi Tail -bike, hike, and more.
- Home to Lake Ore Be Gone and Sherwood Forest Campground ~ Scuba, Swim, Kayak, Boat, Fish, Camp; Stay!
- West 40 Campground within City limits and Eveleth Memorial Park within 5 minutes!
- Hopkins Park, Gilbert – Enjoy playing Disk golf, Kids playground. Plus, tennis and basketball courts.
- 10 minutes from Giants Ridge Golf and Ski Resort
- 10 minutes from Greens of Fourteenth Mini Golf, Virginia, MN
- 10 minutes from Virginia Olcott Park
- 25 minutes from the Discovery center, Chisholm, MN
- 40 minutes from the Boundary Waters Nat’l. Park and Ely, MN.
- Many diverse restaurants and stores, many featuring local ethnic products within the Quad Cities or Virginia, Eveleth, Mt. Iron and Gilbert!